Saturday, September 24, 2011

Yes, it is Your Fault

I've made it clear that I like video games. Nothing wrong with that, as far as I'm concerned. I am a healthy and mature adult who can make decisions on what I think is good for me, and what isn't. That doesn't meant I haven't made wrong decisions, I have, but I can usually make a smart one. Why I bring this up is (if you haven't guessed by now) because I have seen some serious issues revolving around the choices that individuals make, and that parents make in regards to the media.

When parents dodge responsibility, kids suffer.

I guess I should define what I'm talking about. These are parents who don't spend time with their kids. They use movies, TV, and video games as cheap babysitters so that they can do what they want. Parents don't pay attention to the rating or reviews. They just give in to whatever their children want so that they won't whine. These is especially prominent in video games.

I'm back on video games, mostly because its my specialty, but also because I think it is one of the more dangerous avenues for this. When I was growing up, my parents made sure I stuck to the rating system that was given. The ESRB might be run by a bunch of pretentious know-nothings, but they are out to watch out for the younger generations. They're ratings have at least some logic. With that, I wasn't allowed to play anything out of my age range. I don't know what it is, but parents seems so less likely to follow those ratings now. I play more mature games now, online as well. I have played M rated games with kids who couldn't be over twelve. The reason I think that games are a bit more of a problem than other mediums.

Games are inherently interactive. Often you start to feel like you're a part of the story. Immersion is a big point in games. What this means, is that actions and consequences affect you a little more when it's your actions and part of your story. Now, as you age, you can separate yourself from this more, but I feel that in the younger years, the actions and outcomes can shape your thoughts a bit more. The connection you have with the character you're controlling is often deeper than in a movie or show. There may be more influence there than others.

This all boils down to one thing. There is indeed such a thing as bad parenting. Parents that let their children play games that are violent, that contain language, or that have sexual references should realize that their neglect is a reason for kids turning so much of their attention to video games. Leaving them alone to play is not the best solution, play with them, talk to them about their games, have fun together. The n your could do other things together, movies, sports, and all kinds of other opportunities. Games don't absorb the lives of kids who have strong family ties and interests.

Let's make a pact to keep kids from becoming spoiled brats, shall we?

Just something to chew on.

(For some more on this topic, check out Extra Creditz on Penny-Arcade TV.
http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/game-addiction-pt.1)

No comments:

Post a Comment