Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Necessity of Negative Thinking

I've been taking a seminar on C.S. Lewis and George MacDonald this January. Part of my assigned reading? The Chronicles of Narnia. One of my readings was The Silver Chair. In this book is one of the most entertaining characters, Puddleglum the Marsh-Wiggle. Puddleglum is the pessimistic and dower fellow that is always expressing the most depressing possibilities in any situation. In the book, his character is funny and his pessimism isn't to be taken seriously. In reality, however, there is something to be said for his attitude.

There is a need for negativity in thinking.

Dr. Norman Vincent Peale once wrote a book call "The Power of Positive Thinking." In it, he outlined the power over the human mind that thinking positively can have on people's outlooks. Dr. Peale is credited with originating  the phrase, "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade." For me, as one who likes eating lemons straight, I believe that there is plenty to be said about the other side of the coin.

Many that know me might call me a bit of a pessimist. There's a chance, slim though it may be, that I tend to look on the darker side of life. With this in mind, I think that this mentality has some benefits. To clarify one thing that I think is often misconstrued, I am not depressed. There is no perpetual state of sorrow that bothers me and makes me see things in a negative fashion, it's just the view I've developed.

On to some benefits. I feel that the need for negativity comes from often unrealistic hopes. Often, a dower view of a situation is needed to balance out the high hopes someone might have. When expectations are too high, judgement can become clouded with excitement and miss important details. Expecting things to be less than optimal keeps you grounded in reality and can let you see if something has a chance of going awry.

One of my main arguments for negativity is that it can be one of the simplest forms of optimism. For me, when I have expected the worst and something better has happened, it has meant more to me. I take more joy out of a success that I didn't expect. If I had assumed right away that whatever I attempted would work no problem, than I would only be reassuring my previous ideas, not surpassing expectations. And if what I endeavored to do failed, as I thought it could, then I am not surprised by the failing and can move on easier.

Does the whole world need my kind of pessimism? Yes. But since I know you all can't manage that (too many happy frickin' people) just keep me in mind. Don't be annoyed with those who might be raining on your parade. They might have some advice that you, in excitement, didn't think of. Every group needs at least one pessimist to keep people grounded and not get over excited. In the end, there is always going to be a need for negative thinking, and some of you could step up to fill that need.

Though you probably won't.

Just something to chew on.

No comments:

Post a Comment