Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Picking the Bones

One of the biggest stressors for me (and my mother) when I was packing was whether I would have everything that I needed—Do I have enough socks? Should I bring my own shaving cream? Face wash? Soap? Should I bring snacks that I might miss? Am I bringing the right kind of thermal layers? Question after question. And the cloud hanging over all of it was: what do I do if I do need something? Not like I can pop down to the local Walmart or get two-day delivery from Amazon. And I think they frown on hunting penguins for their down.

But I'm not the first person to have this concern. Even for returners, there's the weight of getting what you need and holding onto the things you brought. But if you find yourself in need, there's a place here you can search for your heart's desire: Skua. Skuas are carrion birds that feed here in Antarctica. If there's something out there they can eat, they'll pick it clean. That ethos is what led to naming the "thrift store" on base.

Skua is a building at McMurdo that is the final (or temporary) resting place for anything that previous staff brought with them and didn't want to cart back home. Anything from clothes, bedding, and shoes, to books, technology, spices, and more, all end up in Skua, waiting for their next owner. If you found that you didn't have a warm enough blanket, Skua likely has one. If you broke your alarm clock, Skua has another stashed away. If you want something to read and Library hours are just not jiving with your schedule, Skua has plenty of trash novels to pick from (I should know, I picked up thirty-five of them for my room).

(My treasure trove)

And the best part of this time period is that the winter-overs are leaving, meaning they're dumping all their stuff for Skua, and at the same time, Main Body still hasn't shown up in full. So for those of us here and staying, there's a treasure trove of new nonsense to pick through. And it's all free! Frankly I'm glad my father isn't down here as he'd dedicate a whole suitcase to return with things he could use back home. Free is a good deal, after all.

Skua will likely cover any incidentals that you might need, and some things you didn't even know you wanted, but what about limited quantity items. Just because bacteria growth is hindered in this cold doesn't mean you can lay off the soap. And some people can't live without their Red Bull, so if we want a smooth kitchen shift, there needs to be a ready supply. Thankfully, commerce is alive and well on The Ice and we have a proper store on base.

While certainly not the Mall of America, the McMurdo store has plenty of the essentials for daily life, along with the luxuries that get you through the day. As expected, there's plenty of toiletries and daily necessities. I brought plenty of my own cold medicine and Tylenol, but there's a full suite of over-the-counter medications and vitamins. For those here in winter, when it's all darkness all the time, a ready supply of vitamin D is crucial. There's soaps, shampoos, and other cleaners—which experienced staffers tell me creates an interesting problem where everyone eventually smells the same and you go even more nose blind. Everything to keep you decently healthy and clean can be bought in some fashion, even if it's the cheap stuff. If you've got a complicated skin routine, make sure you bring your own supplies.

But it's not just about staying alive—morale is important too. We've already covered that alcohol is available and important to many down here, but the breadth of available product is rather impressive. While there's some amount of wine and spirits available, there's a whole wall dedicated to beers and such. Although if you want your favorite, get there early on restock days. Otherwise you'll be left with the Coors Light or whatever undesirables are left over. For those of us who don't drink, there's a regular rotation of sodas available—again, your favorite might not be there or be in limited supply, so learn to make do when you can. There's also a ready (and rotating) supply of candy and snacks, for those like me with a fiendish sweet tooth. So while you can't always guarantee something, there's plenty of tastes of home for us to enjoy.

Of course there's also plenty of Antarctica swag in the store. If you want shirts, hoodies, sweatpants, patches, or stickers with McMurdo and Antarctica iconography on it, it's available in spades. How else are you going to let people know you came to the edge of the world if you don't rep it on your knit cap? Jokes aside, they are pretty decent quality, and I'm sure many people, myself included, bring them home as souvenirs for their friends and family.

If I do come back for a second season, or again at a later date, it's good to know that I don't need to stress as much over every little thing that I "need" to bring down here. There's plenty I can buy to sustain myself, as well as people smarter than me leaving their treasures behind to be used. Really, it's a statement to the community mindset of McMurdo that Skua is such a great option and that those leaving want to share their supplies with us left behind. And when I leave, I'm sure that I'll leave some useful items for those who come next, to make their lives a little easier and more comfortable. Like others did for me.

And though it pains me, yes, I'll leave behind the novels I finish reading. And those that I don't, I guess. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment