Friday, April 8, 2011

Mirror, mirror...

Anyone who knows about the existence of a little company called Disney should be able to finish the above line. The old queen was jealous of Snow White, and sent her away. Recently, I've been thinking a bit about things like looks and self-confidence. Here's my latest thought:

Get some self-esteem kids!

Harsh, yes, but necessary I think. There are a bunch of people who aren't happy with how they look, and who think that they're looks define them. Shallow right? But I think we all do it. There are always times when you look at someone and think, "Man, if I were that pretty," or "that muscular," or :"that tall." We compare ourselves to others all the time.

If this is such a part of human nature, you might be asking yourself why I am venting about it. Here's my little issue. Many people I hear bemoaning their looks are better looking then they think. I live in a dorm of guys and girls, and I thoroughly love it. Now, I put this out there so that when I say, I have seen people looking their best, and their worst, you can know I have an interesting sample.

I've hear many girls talking about how they wish they were taller, or skinner, or weighed more (surprising, I know), or looked better in this or that. These types of complaints bother me. I don't think that we can honestly judge how we look. We'll either be arrogant, and over estimate how good looking we are, or under sell ourselves. I look around, and each complaint I hear seems wholly nonsensical to me. I takes some will power not to reach over and slap the back of their heads in frustration. I've heard similar complaints from some of the guys, and it's just as irksome.

Here's what I purpose, we should, as a society, be allowed to ask if we look good, or tell someone they look good. Don't try and tell me that we are like that all ready. I can't go up to a person I don't know and say they look pretty, that'll start raising questions and accusations in their mind. Sometimes I just want to be allowed to compliment someone without being interrogated after. One of the main causes for low self-esteem, in my mind, is that we refuse to let someone compliment us. If we would, I think that there wold be less fixation on body image.

On a side note, I know it is probably weird to hear me complaining about not being able to compliment someone, don't get used to it.

Just something to chew on.

(Daily Application: If you want to increase your self-esteem a little, do what I do. When you pass a mirror, stop, look at yourself, and tell yourself that you look good today. It might sound egotistical, but if someone else won't say it, we should at least be allowed to.)

3 comments: