Thursday, April 28, 2011

Rejected Love Languages: Torment

I find that book about the five love languages to be interesting. I wonder how long it took him to settle on those five specifically. I don't disagree with them, and I believe that they are very accurate, but I have wondered if they are the only love languages out there. These kinds of musings has made me decide to add a few to the list. The first is one that I feel fits me.

My love language is torment.

Sounds nasty right? My love language is apparently to ruin people's worlds. And yet, when I look at it, this really fits me. Keep in mind that this isn't torture. I'm not into putting people on the rack and stretching them until they split. That's wrong, weird, and would raise some serious questions that I don't think anyone wants to ask. Let's move on, quickly.

I express my affection in a more abrasive way. I love to mess with people. Every chance my friends give me for a witty or sarcastic comment, I take. I'm not out to make them feel bad, just to have some fun. To me, it shows that I am very comfortable around people. The closer I am with people, the more I tend to give them a hard time.

It's interesting when I look at this. I've graphed it out in my head a few times, and I've found an interesting anomaly. Once I become close enough to someone, I find that the curve drops drastically. I have people that I've known well who I don't be so harsh with. Weird right? I still am, just not to the same extent. I guess you could call it a right of passage, a trial by fire. If someone is willing to take that much abuse from me, then they're able to let me be a little more real with them.

And there is a difference between my fun sarcasm, and the tone I take with people I don't like. I've seen it before, people who tick me off get a different form of cynic. I find myself to be very biting in my comments to them. It's not the funny, witty banter, but real solid insults. I guess that confuses some people. They look at how I treat my friends, and how I treat some others, and they don't see it. Well, I blame them for that. There are ways to tell, and they only require a little investigation.

Love languages are an interesting thing. We all have our own way of showing our affection, and as accurate as the five common ones are, I don't think they get to the heart of how we interact. They're an umbrella, covering most of the types. I think it's good that we're all unique in our affections.

One a side note, that uniqueness makes it really difficult to gauge people, but that's for another time.

Just something to chew on.

1 comment:

  1. Ha, this is why you and I shouldn't have the same adverse opinions about the same people. They don't stand a chance.

    ReplyDelete