Saturday, July 16, 2011

By Any Other Name

Anyone who has been through a high school English class should recognize the title as the tail end of one of Romeo's lines in Romeo and Juliet. In it, he is describing Juliet and ask if "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet." It is supposed to mean that the name of anything doesn't matter, only what it is. This seems a little messed up in my mind. If I were the rose and he called me a tulip, I think I'd be pretty ticked (not counting in the fact that a rose isn't sentient.) To me, names are important, and that is why I speak how I do.

I always try to call people by name.

A few years back, someone once told me that your name is the sweetest thing that someone can say to you. We put a lot of value on our names, attaching honor and history to last names, and individual identity to our first. In many cultures, a family with a dishonored name is ostracized from their community. Calling someone by the wrong first name is one of the most embarrassing social interactions that we know of.

I always try to know someones' name before I really start to know them. A name is the most important starting point. Just greeting someone you work with by name in when you see them is a good start. After that, addressing them by name and asking questions just help solidify your friendship. This isn't Todd's guide to making friends, but it does show the importance of names among friends.

Names and identity go hand in hand. I believe everyone out there takes pride in their name. I know that I do. One thing that I love about the name "Todd" is that I almost never meet anyone with my same name. In most places, I am the only Todd, making me unique. The meaning of the name is also something that I like. One definition for it is "Seeker of Wisdom." I am one who peruses knowledge and common sense. Sounds accurate. The other definition is "Fox."I'm talking about the animal mind you, not the adjective (though I'm not against being described like that either.) Why do you think the fox from Fox and the Hound was named Todd? A fox is a cunning and intelligent creature, and I have always felt like these traits reflect well in me.

My last name is also something that I am proud of. Naevestad is a Norwegian name, shortened from its original form which was some twenty letters long (and which I don't know how to spell.) The original name meant "place of the lower fjord (river)" and denotes an actually place in Norway. There are maybe twenty people in the world with this last name, as far as I know. I am one of the lucky ones to hang onto that name. That also means that I am given the responsibility of passing it on (however unlikely that might be.) Naevestad isn't just a name, it is an entire family identity.

I mentioned how I feel unique with my name, but there are many times when I have friends with the same name. My dorm floor had four people on it named Nathan, three people named John, and three people named Andrew (Drew). It always seemed like there would be one person to retain the name, one would get a nickname, and others would be called by their last name. This seems only to happen to guys, however. The girls that I know with the same name, I call them by their name. I don't usually do anything to it.

There is also the subject of nicknames. I have some close friends that I have given nicknames. It isn't because I have trouble with their name, but because I have a special affection for them. I call my friend Catherine Sundheim "Sunshine" and my surrogate little sisters, Morgan and Cassie Miller, "The Little Blonde People." I know that I said above that I try to call people by name, but nicknames are different. Nicknames are about a personal bond. The name is usually between the two of you, your own special connection.

Romeo may have been trying to be elegant and deep, but the guy really didn't know what he was talking about (I'll get into my hatred for Romeo and Juliet another time.) True, just because a name changes, doesn't mean the object changes, but the identity does. Names are an important part of our lives. They are the earliest definers of who we are.

To the future parents out there, don't give kids stupid names, they'll hate you.

Just something to chew on.

1 comment:

  1. Naerdefjordestad, or something similar to that. Also, a fjord isn't as much a river, as it is a crevice with water at the bottom connected to the sea. xD Don't ya hate me? :D

    ReplyDelete