Friday, July 22, 2011

Christ and the Dating Game

I love going into bookstores and seeing books that I have reviewed sitting on the shelves. It's cool to think that my review might cause someone to buy it, then have their lives changed. Today I was in the Camp bookstore, looking through the numerous lifestyle books. At the bottom of one shelf was a whole section on christian singles. I browsed the books, not finding anything interesting. I did, however, think of something odd while looking at the content of so many.

Do christian guys not need to know how to date?

While examining the books, I saw a good number of them for girls about how to date in a christian manner. There were things like not seeking "Mr. Right" but being "Ms. Right," others on being independent, but also dedicated to another, and more. It's definitely a good idea to offer this kind of advice, christian dating is a murky thing, and the words of some "experts" can always help out.

Now, when looking at the books targeted to men, I saw, mainly, one trend in all of them. Most of the books were about remaining pure until God's appointed time. I realize that remaining pure is a wonderful goal to strive for, and something that requires learning and dedication. However, is that the only thing that a single man's life is about?

I wish there were more books about being christian, single men in a world where dating is so confusing. I admit that I have never actually dated anyone. There have been the odd situation once or twice, but not what I would consider actual dating. I think that I would be more inclined to pursue a dating relationship if I could get some insight before plunging into that tumultuous sea.

I know that a book can't teach everything, and may only offer some very small part of a grander puzzle. However, I believe it is better to go with some preparation, than totally blind. Life experience is one of the only ways to learn how to act in a dating relationship. Let's be honest, life experience can be painful, sometimes earth shattering.

The main reason I would like some kind of book on the subject, is because I would like to know how a christian mindset deals with life issues. There are enough secular books about dating and hooking-up to fill a trashy library, but I have not found too many books that deal with how to deal in a Christ like manner with a girlfriend, or how to follow God's will in a deeper relationship. Practical "skills" are one thing, but knowing how to be godly in your dealings with the sensitive feelings that we hold deep.

Even though I consider myself an aspiring writer, to whom nothing is off limits, I don't think that I am the person to write this kind of book, at least not at this, or any foreseeable, period of life. I do think, however, that there are enough strong christians out there, single and married, who can help teach the young and the restless like myself. I'm willing to take the plunge someday, but I have no idea when that will be.

And no (mother) I'm not ruling out any possibilities God might throw at me.

Just something to chew on.

No comments:

Post a Comment