Saturday, July 30, 2011

Jesus Freaks

So, DC Talk was never a great band in my mind, but their song "Jesus Freak" seems to be a fitting title for this latest entry. Since I do go to a Christian school, and spend a good deal of time at a big Christian camp, I see many people who express their faith and beliefs differently. Some I agree with, others not so much. Yet I have noticed something that[s probably going to tick some people off.

I hope you take the term "Super Christian" as an insult.

Oh no, I bet I've crossed the line with some of my readers. How could I think anything like being a Super Christian is bad? I must have lost my mind or become an existentialist or something. Unlikely inner monologue aside, some of you might know what I'm talking about. When you hear "Super Christian," you probably have a certain image in your head, whether a generic idea, or someone you know. Let me describe what I see.

A Super Christian in my mind is something along he lines of a Bible-thumper. Everything they talk about has to do with God, or Jesus, what they learned or how they were blessed. There people are incredibly vocal about what they think God has been doing in their lives. Ask them how they're doing, and they'll fed you a line like, "God has given me a great day to enjoy."

All of this sounds pretty legitimate right? I understand what it is like to be excited by God's greatness and what He does for us. My problem is not with their excitement. I take issue with their consistency. I know a few Super Christian, and a common trend in them is that they talk their big game, but live like me. I am not perfect, I have some anger issues, I know when I sin, and I realize that I don't always put God first. That's what being human means. Super Christian are just like that, but they try to veneer their faults by slathering on the Christian buzz words. It seems like if they talk about God enough, people will ignore their shortcomings.

What really bothers me, is that the Super Christians believe that they are "above" me. I have been criticized by Super Christians for different short comings, and had various Bible verses vomited at me to prove me wrong. It's really amusing to see that the idea of quoting Bible verses for your own purpose is used by come Christians. Here's a verse for the Super Christian, " You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye. (Mathhew 7:5.)"


Not all people who always seem to revel in God are Super Christians. I know some who are indeed people who are connected to God and want to share their joy. Two men that I will name up at Camp-of-the-Woods are Cody Allen Rushing and Christien Jackson. These two men are knowledgeable in the Word, and dedicated to God. The reason they are different, to me, is because of how they live. Both men are full of love for those that they meet, and both can admit their failures. I have spent nights talking to Christien about my faults and his, and I always feel like I grow when we're finished.

How we live is who we are. Super Christian live like everyone else and sound like hypocrites when they speak. Real men and women of God live in him, and inspire when they speak. So many Christians, it seems, fail to recognize their own faults and failings. I believe that God saved us and has forgiven our sins, but that doesn't make us perfect. No amount of pretty Christian vocabulary can hide the truth of who you are.

And if someone says they'll pray that I change my mind one more time, I'm going to defenestrate them.

Just something to chew on.

No comments:

Post a Comment