Saturday, November 5, 2011

Loosen That Tie

So, I figured that after all that heavy reading you guys did last month, I'll get back to some easier, more opinionated writing. As many of you know, I dress casually. I wear hats and go barefoot as often as possible. T-shirts and overshirts are my main clothing options. There is an actual reason that I am boring you with these points.

I hate the idea of dressing up for church.

I never really had to dress up in nice clothes when I went to church. Shorts and a t-shirt were perfectly acceptable in my home. I remember my mom telling me that she never required us to dress up because she didn't want to take the time to make us look presentable. Sunday wouldn't be about rushing to church in stuffy starched shirts, it would be relaxed. I realize that this is how I grew up, and that is a major impact on my thinking, but even that isn't everything. As I look at it, it makes so much sense.

Church is supposed to be something we want to go to. For me, I hate ties, and if I had to wear one every time I went to church, I believe that I would dread going. It wouldn't be the same place for me. Church was always the place I could cut loose. The people there knew me and didn't judge my quirks and oddities. They knew that was just who I was, and they loved me for it. If I had to be dressed proper and stoic, my church wouldn't have been the same safe haven for me that it had been for so long.

Often the line, "come just as you are" is quoted for such a topic, and this wouldn't be a fairly standard online journal if I didn't. I love the idea of going to God in whatever way we can. We don't need to follow any special protocols or dress codes, all that is needed is a willing heart. Clothes don't make the Christian, it is the belief that defines us.

Just no nudist Christian churches please, lots of old people go to church....

Just something to chew on.

No comments:

Post a Comment