Friday, December 9, 2011

I'll Open Your Mind

This idea has been simmering since probably my sophomore economics class in high school when I was being vehemently argued with regarding some of the ideas I held in regards to policy and politics and the like. See, I could be called a conservative, meaning I have some kind of moral compass and I don't think everyone can live however they want. This kind of mentality doesn't fly well in a public high school where everyone is all about tolerance and stomping on religion. A lot of my fellow students did not appreciate my ideas. With all their negativity, I've come to a conclusion.

I hate open-mindedness.

I can just hear all the "culturally aware" and "socially sensitive" people just flying off the handle right now. How dare he say such a thing! Being open-minded should be the corner stone of our society! It helps us understand others better and keep us from being bigots! Whatever mantra of social justice you want to tack onto it, it all boils down to the same thing: we should accept all ideas, no matter what.

Maybe I'm just argumentative (and I am), but I refuse to accept this idea. There is truth, truth that will always be true no matter what anyone says. Despite all the post-modern junk out there, there is absolute truth (which I'll get into another time). Now, like I've made clear, this idea hasn't won me a lot of supports in school. Countless times I've been told that I have to be more open-minded to the ways the world "really" works. (Side note, I loved hearing from other high schoolers how the world works when none of them had ever done anything else but mooch of their parents for most everything.)

All this build up come to this. Anyone who accuses someone of being closed-minded is just as closed-minded as the one they're ridiculing. The thing about making any kind of judgement call is that when you compartmentalize someone as unwilling to see your side, your not realizing that you refuse to see their side as well. If you won't entertain the idea that they could be right as well, then you have closed your mind off in the exact opposite manner. You are just as closed-minded as them.

I love how being closed-minded is the go to remark when someone refuses to listen to an idea they don't agree with. It is a defense against having to listen to the opinions of anyone else. When you peg someone as close-minded, they don't have any way to argue. To you, they are ignorant and bigoted, unable to see the "enlightened" mentality that is supposedly arising in out culture. It is then easy to disregard what they are saying. After all, since they're close-minded, there is no intelligence in their argument.

It may be too much to ask for a universal respect. Honestly, we have a selfish world and anyone who doesn't want to hear something doesn't have to. But when this same idea starts to infiltrate into everyday thought, that if you don't agree you can just disregard, that is when we have some problems. Sharing ideas, even ones we don't like, is how we get a better perspective on our world. A variety of thoughts helps create a solution that we can all accept.

Anyone who feeds me that close-minded garbage again is getting an open mind courtesy of a pick ax...nah I'm kidding.

Just something to chew on.

No comments:

Post a Comment